Thursday, October 3, 2013

Industry Expert: Stacey Bonello of BONELLO Productions

Stacey Bonello is a beautiful, vibrant, multi-faceted and multi-talented woman. Out of her many talents, Bonello Productions was born. BONELLO Productions (dba SBonello Enterprises Inc.) is a full service event planning company, here to cater to all your event planning needs. They are based in Brooklyn but have traveled extensively for events, bringing our services to Florida, Connecticut, Philadelphia, Atlanta as well as internationally to the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and South Africa. Bonello Productions offers a wide array of services, which will be useful to you from the inception of your event through to the reception. Their services include Graphic Design, Catering, Special Event & Wedding planning, as well as Decorating & uniquely hand crafted gifts/gift baskets/gift bags, Party rentals including chair covers, linens and centerpieces. Bonello Productions is also affiliated with other event service providers and will be able to put you in touch with the very best photographers, videographers, DJ's, Pastry experts (wedding cakes and specialty cakes) singers, bands, entertainers, stylists and venues.


Stacey Bonello

How did you come up with the idea to launch your own production company?

I have always been a creative individual and have always loved to put my hands to many different projects. I found that I loved to do TOO many things and had to find a way to either do one, or mesh them all together where it would still make sense. So S. Bonello Enterprises Inc was formed and born out of it was Bonello Productions which focuses on all aspects of event planning from inception to reception. I wanted to be a "One stop shop" for peoples event planning needs.

What made you decide to go into business for yourself?

I worked in corporate America straight out of college and was able to climb the corporate ladder and worked with many good people ending up in the publishing industry. I worked my fingers to the bone as I did coordinating every sales meeting; only to be "down-sized" in the end. I was the only African American Manager (Sales & Marketing Manager) at my job and people were shocked that I was laid off knowing my work ethic & dedication to the company. I realized in that moment that it was all about money and that any employee is indispensable. I decided in that moment never to return. After temping for a year following my lay-off I incorporated my own business in 2006 and haven't looked back since. My friends and family had always encouraged me to start my own business so I decided that I had noting to lose.


What Research did you do before starting your business?

Once I figured out what I wanted to do, I spoke to my lawyer in order to see which form of business would be best for me (LLC, Inc., Sole Proprietorship) and I consulted other friends and business owners about what it took to run a business. I was fortunate to know a lot of people who were more than willing to share their knowledge, insight & information. I in turn have done the same for many along my journey. No man is an island. It's a constant learning process.

When preparing for an event, what is your creative process like? Do you have specific brainstorming sessions? Do you carry a notebook/sketchbook and write down ideas as they come?

Each event is different. I can't say that I have a specific brainstorming session as I am constantly brainstorming and thinking of different ideas for different scenarios, different themes I'd like to present (to those who may have no clue what they want) at any given time. My brain is always churning with ideas. I do however speak with the person initially and get as much information as I can from them to find out their likes and dislikes. I have my trusty Notes section & Voice memo in my iPhone to jot down any random ideas I may have throughout the day.


About how many events do you have a month?

It varies. It could be anywhere between 1 to 4 events and my role in each event may differ depending on the needs of the client.

How important are business relationships in your line of work? How do you go about maintaining healthy business relationships?

Business relationships are extremely important! If your clients can't trust you, your product or your word, you have failed in business. Losing good clients is not an option so I do my best to keep my clients happy and more than satisfied with the product or service I provide them.

What is one major goal you have for your business that you haven't obtained? How are you going about obtaining it?

I would eventually like to have a Hall for my events. I am always looking at real estate and have a few places in mind that I would love to use as my establishment. In the meantime I am learning as much as I can about commercial real estate and am starting a gospel lounge with a friend who currently has a space available. I am very excited about that as it will definitely help me in some areas in regards to running certain aspects of an establishment and managing my own events consistently.


With so many other production companies to choose from, what makes a customer say "I'm going to Bonello Productions." What makes them become a returning customer?

The quality of my service and the personal care I give to each and every client has set me apart from many other event planners. My clients are treated like family and with the utmost respect. With catering my motto is "it has to taste as good as it looks and look as good as tastes! Quality is a huge thing for me in maintaining success.

If any, what experiences have you had as a Black American woman that has made your experience in the industry more difficult? How did you overcome them?

As an African-American woman in the business there has been some challenges, mostly competing with the larger conglomerate companies, but that may be a challenge for most small business owners. Unfortunately many of the challenges are from my own people choosing to utilize "bigger" businesses over mine knowing that I will provide them a better service. I just focus on being the best at what I do. I have increased my marketing so that people are aware of my services and continually get referrals from my existing customers...some whom I have had for many years.

What would you say is the most significant aspect in gaining clientele?

In my line of business it is staying marketable and always perfecting my craft. The better I get at what I do, the happier my clients are with the outcome, the more business referrals I get, the better my revenue.


What advice do you have for beginning business owners?

Whatever it is that you decide to do, you have to love it and do it wholeheartedly! There will be challenges and days where it may seem nothing is happening and you may think about throwing in the towel. You have to remember why you started in the first place and let your passion drive you to your success. You have to love what you do.

Where can people find you in order to view your portfolio and/or contact you for services?

My portfolio can be found on Facebook at Bonello Productions and I may also be contacted at smbsolutons@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment