Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Entrepreneurs On The Rise: Takiyah Broomes of Kiya Kakes

Takiyah Broomes studied pre-med and graduated with her BS in Biology, so when she made the switch to full time baker, it shocked many who knew her. Kiya Kakes is a home-based bakery that came into existence in April of 2012 and owned solely, Takiyah Broomes. She is the baker, decorator, accounts payable and receivable, and marketing coordinator. This beautiful woman does it all. She was previously a co-owner of a former baking company named Haute Cakes Bakery before it dismembered. Takiyah credits her time at Haute Cakes with testing her baking skills and allowing her to hone her craft. Kiya Kakes is new and original in its own right simply because Takiyah never received any formal cake baking or decorating training, yet she has managed to solidify a word of mouth based clientele that continues to grow day by day. Everything you see on any of the Kiya Kakes social networking sites, have all been mastered by a method of trial and error. Kiya Kakes features some of the most up to date creative pastries that are out in the market. Cake pops, push pops, Fondant cakes, butter-cream cakes, cupcakes, cookies and so much more.

1. How did you know that you were meant to go into business for yourself?

I knew I was meant to go into business for myself when I fully understood the power of my own attitude lol. I am someone who does not like to be told what to do, nor constantly supervised, therefore I knew I was not fit to work for the "man."

2. When did you finally decide to start your business?

I decided to start my business immediately after me a former business I had with a group of friends dismembered I knew that it was something I already enjoyed doing, therefore I continued with it.

3. How did you come up with your company name?

My company name "Kiya Kakes," was actually a joke amongst friends. "Kiya Kakes with a K" to be exact. For me it was simple and catchy, so I dropped the "C" and replaced it with a "K" and kept Kiya Kakes.

4. What is your favorite aspect of baking?

My favorite aspect of baking would have to be the decorative side. It 's where cake artists such as myself have a chance to truly make something stunning and creative on their own. It's like giving a painter a blank canvas, or a rapper a beat. There are endless things that someone can do with a blank canvas or a plain cake.

5. Do you have a signature flavor? Describe it.

Yes. My signature flavor would be my "famous" red velvet. It is my number 1 selling flavor. Although Red Velvet is a very popular cake, I tend to think mine is slightly different from your typical red velvet cake. I can't let out too many secrets lol, but I put my little personal spin on it and it seems to be a winner.

6. Out of all of your cake flavors, what is the current customer favorite?

It would definitely be my Red Velvet cake.


7. What has been the best thing about owning your own business?

There are so many! One would be the freedom to do as I please. I set my own rules, my own prices, my own schedule (which may be the most rewarding) and another would be the fact of escaping uncomfortable or stressful working environments that I have encountered in the past.

8. What has been the most difficult thing about owning your own business?

The most difficult thing about owning my own business would be the lack of time. I am an over achiever and at times, I like to take on the impossible. Baking is only one of my full time jobs, so I have to find the balance between baking, school as well as my 8-4 job schedule. There are literally but so many hours in a day, so trying to fit everything in can sometimes be a handful.



9. If you had one piece of advice to give to other small business owners like yourself, what would it be?

My single handed advice would be to work ALONE (she laughs), and if that is not possible, do not work with friends or family. It rarely ever works out and the problems that may arise from working with family and friends is simply not worth it.

10. Is there a blog, webpage or social networking site where we can find you?

At the moment, my work can be seen on social networks, Facebook and Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment