Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Letterpress Chronicles: Day 2

......So, it was another awesome day of class last week Thursday.  The class was even better than the first.  It's seems, so far, that each class will build upon one another.  One reason this class was even better is because I wasn't hungry for 3 1/2 hours like I was during the first class.  

......While I sat waiting for class to begin (mind you, I was 30 minutes early) 7 minutes before 6pm, it dawned on me that while I enjoyed my first class immensely -- a gray shadow known as hunger hovered over it, taking some of the joy out of my experience.  Once the thought hit me, and processed, I jumped out of my seat, grabbed my wallet & my trusty Sensation 4G from Tmobile [which I absolutely adore]---and I headed out in search of something healthy, tasty and fufilling....(arghhh this weight loss journey...LOL)

......I made it downstairs, walked out of the building, turned left and headed for 6th Avenue aka Avenue of Americas.  There had to be something there. ---And WAH-LAH Chipotle!!!...Right on 6 Av between W21st and W22st, I found my haven. PERFECT. I ordered a bowl composed of brown rice, black beans, grilled chicken, some crazy spicy red sauce, and lettuce...(I resisted the tempting and o so tasty Tortilla chips that I wanted soooo badly)....added a Poland Spring water and I was good to go...

 
The Meal that made the hunger shadow Disappear!!!

.....So class started and Mr. Faust jumped right in and let us know that we would be printing our very own business cards.  I was ecstatic.  After printing our business cards, we were to move on using the photos that we brought in to create our very own photo polymer plate.  Note:  I called it a Palmer Photo Engraving Plate in my blog about Day 1.  So please forgive me.  Once again the correct term is Photo Polymer Plate.

.....As Mr. Faust began speaking about how we would go about making our business cards, he mentioned different types of font that were good for our business cards.  From what I was able to catch while taking notes, he mentioned: Universe, Clarendon, Furtura, and Century Expanded.  Once Mr. Faust completed his discussion about fonts, he handed each of us our very own composing stick.  We quickly recapped how to properly hold the composing stick and we were off...

The first line of my business card
at this point I had the composing stick facing the wrong way..smh...LOL


......I must admit that I was uber nervous and not confident about making my first business card on my own but once I began and got myself together, I had soooooooooo much fun.

.....I had already began building my card when I realized I was holding the composing stick improperly.  Thankfully the letters were correct.  Trust me, it takes time to place each individual letter plus proper spacing in place, so I was glad that this was an easy fix.  All I had to do was flip the composing stick.  

The proper way to hold a composing stick: Upside down, reading from left to right


.....For my card, I chose to go a little traditional.  I selected Century Expanded 24pt. for my top line (my name) and Futura 18 pt. for the rest of the card.  I was the last one to finish but, that's alright.  Once I finished composing my card, I was added with the rest of cards composed by the class. Mr. Faust wanted to only use one sheet of paper.  It totally makes sense being to the fact that business cards are generally small, so there was no need to waste paper.

Our cards ready for print on the Vandercook Universal 1

.....Each of us had the opportunity to print after Mr. Faust printed a couple of times.  I must say, even though I printed the same job a few times to get the roll technique going --- I can't ever see this getting boring, EVER.


Behold the Printed Product


.....It took a little longer than expected for all of us to finish so we didn't get to move on to the Polymer Photo Plates.   This coming Thursday, we are supposed to cut down our business cards and make our plates.  I can't wait for Thursday to get here!!!!

.....That's all folk....I hope you enjoyed reading about Day 2 of My Letterpress Chronicles...


'Til Next Time
Meagan