Thursday, September 19, 2013

Industry Expert: Kim Walker of Agape Artistry

An artist to the core, Kim Walker has been in the make-up industry for several years. She began in 2004 and officially launched Agape Artistry, LLC in 2011. With a deep love for drawing, painting, and color every face she touches becomes a true work of art. Agape Artistry offers Makeup Application, Makeup Check-up/Consultation/Lessons, Eyebrow Shaping/Waxing, Event Makeup Application, people empowering people and so much more!!! Take a read to find out more about the lady behind this awesome company.


Kim Walker

How did you become a make up artist?

After Art school in Delaware I wanted another trade. My mother suggested Cosmetology School. (I just wanted to learn how to do my own hair, never quite got there, giggles). The blessing was towards the end of school when we got to the makeup chapter and it just clicked for me. I was amazed at how makeup was just like painting and drawing on a canvas. This is where it all began.


What is your creative process like? Do you have specific brainstorming sessions? Do you carry a notebook/sketchbook and write down ideas as they come?

I love sticky pads and note pads anything I can scribble an idea on. I post notes of inspiration in my bathroom, kitchen, desk and car. I keep a note pad with me wherever I go. The world is Art. I'm inspired by nature, objects, textures and I love color!!!

What made you decide to go into business for yourself?

I always wanted to work for myself. I have always had customer service jobs and enjoyed working with people. I wanted to use all of the experience I've acquired to do something positive for the world; my community.

What Research did you do before starting your business?

I studied all the companies I loved and what they did. I did the same for Artists I've looked up to and bought all their books. The best research however, was in failure. Finding out what didn't work helped me realize what did. I had to Learn what works for others wouldn't always necessarily work for me.


About how many clients do you have a month?

My clients vary monthly. Some months I'm swamped with weddings and others Maybe eyebrows on the weekend. I'm grateful for the highs and lows because it teaches me the definition of balance in life.

What is one major consistent goal you have for your business? How are you going about obtaining it?

The goal I have is to stay true to myself and my customers. I want to stay consistent at all times in my service to them. No matter how busy I get each person knows how grateful I am for them. I must keep this up by listening to there needs and keeping my Business simple.


With so many other make-up artists to choose from, that is what will makes a customer say "I'm going to Agape Artistry", What makes a person become a returning customer?

Love of people and Love of Art! That is part of my mission statement. Love has to be enough. When times are hard it's the Love for what I do that is contagious and shines through me.

If any, what experiences have you had as a Black American woman that has made your experience in the make-up industry more difficult? How did you overcome them?

I don't think my ethnicity makes what I do difficult. I do believe as an artist in any field you must use what you have to be a triple threat. I promised myself that I would learn how to apply makeup on all nationalities and genders. I want anyone to be able sit in my chair and know that I can achieve there needs. I remember meeting a stylist who said she would only do African American hair. I never forgot that statement and thought how she was limiting her talents and speaking that into her life. God created us all, who are we as professionals to turn someone away?



What advice do you have for beginning business owners?

Have a plan and work it! Study your craft always and never stop learning. Believe in yourself. Surround yourself with people who are doing the same or better. If you fall, get back up.

Where can people find you in order to view your portfolio and/or contact you for services?

Currently I'm on Facebook at Agapeartistryllc . Agapeartistry.com is coming soon. Or just give me a call directly at 609.521.6632.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comments! They were accidently deleted. You can repost if you'd like! We love feedback from our readers!

    ReplyDelete