Thursday, September 5, 2013

Industry Expert: Jeanetmarie Smith of Good Hair Cards

I have had the awesome pleasure to meet Jeanetmarie Smith via LinkedIn. With over 25 years of experience in design and illustration, she is still extremely gracious and humble. She has always been kind enough to provide me, a new kid on the block, with advice and constructive criticism. I could think of no one better than her to kick off our experts corner. I hope you enjoy the interview and more importantly learn something that will help you along your journey as an entrepreneur.


How did you get into greeting card design?

In 1985, I started designing business cards for African American hairstylist who wanted illustrations of the latest hairstyles.

What is your creative process like? Do you have specific brainstorming sessions? Do you carry a notebook/sketchbook and write down ideas as they come?

I just start with a sketch or picture of an interesting hairstyle. Then I will work on the sketch until I like what I see.

What made you decide to sell your own cards?

The hairstylists I did illustrations for in the 80’s and 90s started using pictures of their work so the market for my services dried up in the 2000s. I decided to test the market to see if my illustrations would sell on greeting cards.

How many cards do you sell a month?

My cards debuted in April at the 2013 Black Women’s Expo in Chicago. I have sold about 1,500 cards since then.

How do your cards differ from other greeting cards that are currently in the market?

My cards focus on a niche market; Black women and their diverse and sometime elaborate hairstyles.

If any, what experiences have you had as a Black American woman that has made your experience in the greeting card industry more difficult? How did you overcome them?

So far, I have been lucky enough to have none.

What would you say is the most significant aspect in your card sales?

Although I have a website, the vast majority of my sales come through direct marketing. Social media will help you get fan likes on Facebook. However, it takes time before these fans convert into paying customers; if they convert at all. So, I have concentrated on selling my greeting cards through networking events, trade shows and local businesses.

What advice do you have for beginning card designers?

Do your market research. Do not assume people will buy your cards because your family and friends like them. People may like your cards, but that doesn’t mean they will buy them. Test your market with a few cards on a platform like Zazzle.com and go from there.

Be sure to check out JeanetMarie’s fabulous card line with the info provided below.

Good Hair Cards
Good Hair Cards on Etsy
Good Hair Cards on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment