Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Entrepreneur on the Rise: Quanda Bryant of Sweet Stuff Gourmet






Owned by the beautiful Quanda Bryant, Sweet Stuff Gourmet is a dessert business that
makes cakes, pies, and cobblers all from scratch using the highest quality ingredients. Sweet
Stuff Gourmet is mostly known for their blissful sweet potato cakes which are always made
with fresh sweet potatoes. The business targets restaurants, gourmet shops, supermarkets, company parties, and private parties. Mrs. Bryant has been running Sweet Stuff Gourmet on part time and seasonal basis, however, she is now looking to take her business to the next level.


1. How did you know that baking was your calling?


I realized baking was my calling when I saw how much I loved doing it. Not only was it therapeutic,

but my friends thought my baking was delicious.


2. When did you finally decide to start your business?


I decided to start my business after friends continued to tell me my desserts were good enough to sell.


3. How did you come up with your company name?


My good friend Joyce actually helped me come up with that name. She came up with the Sweet Stuff

and I added Gourmet because of the ingredients I use.


4. Out of all of your delicious treats, what is the current customer favorite?


 I'm known for my sweet potato cake. They taste absolutely amazing. Customers always seek

me out at craft shows to purchase them. I’ve encountered people who said they didn't eat

sweet potatoes, but loved my cake. What's great is that folks start out with one of my 4 inch

cakes that I sell at craft shows, with intentions of sharing with their family when they get

home; the next thing I know is they're back for another one or two because they ate the entire cake

before reaching their car.


Sweet Stuff Gourmets' infamous Sweet Potato Cake



5. What has been the best thing about owning your own business?


The best thing about owning my own business is watching something I love doing pay off... literally. I

get to be creative while watching others enjoy that creativity. Eventually, I want to do this full time.


6. What has been the most difficult thing in owning your own business?


Getting step by step information on establishing the business was the most difficult aspect of running

it. Despite what’s said about asking others who are doing what you want to do for advice,

people really don't want to help you.  They see you as potential competition and I get that, but for

goodness sakes, someone could have given me a smidgen of good advice.


7. If you had one piece of advice to give to other small business owners like yourself, what would it be?



I would advise them on how to get started. You need to know the legalities! I would also tell

them to advertise, advertise, advertise. Funny enough,

I need to take my on advice about advertising.


8. Is there a blog, webpage or social networking site where we can find you?


 You can get information about my cakes/desserts on my website at

Sweet Stuff Gourmet . I will also be participating in the Art in the Park Craft Show at

Anderson Park in Montclair, New Jersey on September 21-22.
It's from 10 am to 5pm on

both days. I will be selling my sweet potato cakes, red velvet cake, cobblers, and more... As

always, everything will be made from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment