Thursday, November 21, 2013

Industry Expert: Julia Minasian of Julia Minasian Designs

I was so excited for the opportunity to interview Julia of Julia Minasian Designs. She is absolutely one of the sweetest people I have ever had the pleasure of coming into contact with. In a world full of emails, text messages and instant messaging; Julia insisted that we see each other face to face. Well, face to face via Skype because we live on two different coasts! It was my first interview with an expert via Skype and I must say, it was my best interview to date.

Julia’s work is AMAZING!!! New ideas and inspiration for creative projects are a constant in California artist Julia Minasian’s life. She has been painting since as far back as she remembers and successful in the commercial art world for the last 15 years. Known for her fresh sense of color and innovative style, she has licensed widely in the home and garden décor worlds.  Her designs are on china, bedding, kitchen linens, paper, clothing and more. Her whimsical art is spirited and the delight she experiences with the creative process shows through in all her work. When purchasing any of her pieces, there is absolutely no doubt that you now possess a labor of love.



How did you get into the art/licensing industry?

I have been creating art for most of my life and selling my art since 18. I did massage therapy and would always sell my art on the side. I began working in house as an artist and got excited about the industry. I could tell that my work was not bad and people responded well to it.

What is your creative process like?

My creative process never stops. It’s everywhere I am. Sunlight on the trees and the pretty autumns and California inspire me. Everything inspires me. Sometime, clients ask for something specific. I start with nothing in my mind, however, I do start with a color pallet. I mainly paint. I love the feeling of the paint brush against the paper and the smell. I paint, scan it into the computer and then bring my mind into it and form it.

What Research did you do before starting your business?

NONE! I JUST JUMPED IN!

How long did it take for you to gain clientele?

It takes a long time to get clientele. It’s not about what you want but about what the industry wants. You have to find a way to provide what the industry wants and maintain your integrity as an artist. For 10 years I struggled to find a brand. It was frustrating because I felt like I had to paint a certain way. If you really love something, it will show up and I absolutely love having the ability to create. Now my esthetics are kind of in sync with the industry and what’s in trend. But no matter what I remain authentic to myself.

How important is business relationships in your line of work? How do you go about maintaining healthy business relationships?

VERY IMPORTANT. I try to stay in touch with all clients at least four times a year by sending them new work presentations or just a hello and "are you looking for anything" type of email. Active clients send new work as I finish it. This could be weekly. I find it hard to know the right balance of being pushy and not being pushy!!! There's an art to it which I am working on.



What is one major goal you have for your business that you haven't obtained? How are you going about obtaining it?

I would like to sell my designs to an actual fabric company. Many designs have been sold and used on fabric for Kitchen Linen, Clothing, Bedding, etc. but it would be great to have yardage. I am working on building contacts.

With so many other artists to choose from, what makes a licensing company say "I'm going to Julia M. Designs." What makes them become a returning customer?

I think/hope I'm easy to work with. I have been both Design Director as well as Freelance Designer so knowing the business from these two perspectives helps me know more of the needs of the person who is licensing my art. Ultimately I know it is not about what I want but only about what will sell. I never question a client's wish to change something but I may suggest options. I stay positive and meet good news with about the same energy as not such great news. Also, people love my colors and there is a trust level that I understand the market and trends.

What would you say is the most significant aspect in gaining clientele?

GOING TO TRADE SHOWS!


What advice, if any would you have for beginning artists who would like to have their work licensed?

My advice would be don’t start off with a licensing designer. I would say work in house with a designer and learn the industry from the inside out. Don’t rush it! Try to build a brand and authenticate yourself. Go to shows as an artist/student and check things out. People who jump in tend to spend a lot of money. You want to have a dynamic look and be industry savvy. You want to wait until you’re really strong to launch. When you do that, you’ll have a better chance. You also want to build your contacts and social networking from the very beginning.

Where can people find you in order to view your portfolio and/or contact you for services?

Julia's Website is for MANUFACTURERS ONLY BUT you CAN CALL her at 925 943 1047 FOR ACCESS TO IT.

Also if you want to take a look at her work be sure to check her out on Facebook . Don’t forget to give her page a like too.

You can also purchase some of her beautiful pillows on Overstock .

No comments:

Post a Comment