Thursday, June 14, 2012

So I Began My Introduction to Letterpress Class at SVA....

Hey...people...first I would like to say...I apologize for taking 4ever and some days to post a new blog....between...work...my endo...and regular life...blogging and my card journey kind of took a hold....but I'm back... persevering and moving forward.

As mentioned in my first blog.  I am a greeting card maker..Mainly handmades but with a gift...if you truly love it...one must enhance their skill and try to learn as much as they can to add..........and add
....and add some more.....So to add to my skill....I have embarked on a new road in my journey.  I have always wanted to learn how to letterpress.  After searching and searching tirelessly for an internship or apprenticeship to teach my about the art of letterpress (without any luck) --- I finally came across a class {that I of course had to pay cash for} at the School of Visual Arts; also known as SVA ...Yes the money may have set me back and with my first class behind me, I already know that it was O so Worth it!!!

My class is being taught by none other than Dikko Faust of Purgatory Press...Like how cool is that..???..I am past excited and honored.  I must admit that I really knew nothing about actual letterpress itself.  I knew about some machines that were used but that's about it.  So with my eagerness to learn I sat in my first class Thursday, 7 Jun 2012 at 6pm a blank canvas.  I am glad to say I now have some specs of paint on me.

Last week we learned about Pica versus points, ligatures such as: ff, fi, fl, ffi, and ffl typeface, ascenders and descenders but my favorite part of course was the fact that I had my very first letterpress experience.  We were allowed to use the Vandercook Universal 1...and I must say I haven't been that excited in a really long time...It was sooooo amazing....

Today will be my 2nd class and we will have the opportunity to create our very own Palmer Photo Engraving     Plate.  I the photo I chose to create the plate is good enough....anywho..I'll get into Palmer Photo Engraving more after my 2nd class tonight.

For now...enjoy the pictures of my experience at my very first Letterpress class session... :-)

The Vandercook Univeral 1 --Up Close & Personal

The Vandercook Universal 1 --Taking a Step Back

Last But definitely not Least
My very 1st Letterpressed Material!!!!



Till Next Time

Meagan